Is your office environment making you sick?

Posted on

When you think of air pollution, you probably think smokestacks in city spaces—not the furniture or indoor spaces, right? We always consider indoor environments to be healthy but the truth is that there can be many hidden pollutants in the air and on the furniture compared to outside environment that can be wreaking havoc inyour bodies.

And that indoor space could be where you spent most time of the day. Yes it’s your office. This is especially true if you are somebody who suffers dry cough, frequent headaches, eye, throat, or nose irritation, nasal allergies, itchy, dry skin, fatigue or from asthma as the air in this space can make your symptoms – and even attacks – worse. You will notice that your symptoms only occur in a specific location, such as your cubicle or that conference room or pantrybut feel better shortly after leaving. Which means you may be suffering from sick building syndrome, a term used to describe buildings where occupants experience health issues and discomfort while inside.Having said it’s true that you probably don’t have much control over your office furniture, the carpeting, the paint or anything else in your office. But there are ways to combat with such issues. We present you some solutions to keep yourself healthy and your office as unpolluted as possible.

Say no to unhealthy Mold

Mold(black mold and other types) is the leading cause that makes the indoor environment unhealthy as it can have dire effects on your health.Moldcan either be toxic or an allergen, thrives in damp environments and spreads easily. Mold is typically found in basements, bathrooms, pantries, attics and other areas of buildings that may be susceptible to high humidity levels. Mold infestations can be caused by pipe breaks, water leaks and other water intrusions. Mold spores can spread to an entire building through the heating and air duct system.

Quick tip: While the above problems should be looked after by office administrator, what the simplest thing you can do is check the plants in your office or desk. Sometimes to improve air inside, you may add plants in your desk but overwatering can cause mold. Sounds totally weird but your plant may be making you sick!

Why using unhygienic office equipment

When was the last time you cleaned your computer, laptop or dusted your blinds? If you said ‘long back’, well you’re not alone. No matter how on the outside your office spaces look clean, they are dirty on the inside. Dust mites may build up in neglected areas (especially those printer cords and vent covers). The fans that are used to keep electronic equipment from overheating may have piled up dust over time. Chances are you’ll find a lot of dust, lint, pollen, and dirt particles, building up in almost all part of office. And remember you’re breathing all this stuff in on a regular basis.

Quick tip: Once every month, have the cleaning crew perform a full dusting of windowsills, vents, computer cords, areas around electronics, and in file rooms. Every surface in the workspace should be cleaned off at least once a week to prevent the build-up of dust or other potential allergy triggers.And about your own computer and systems, make sure to perform dusting, every week to avoid microscopic toxins. All this will help you breathe easier.

Make space for a green carpet

No we aren’t really promoting a product here, but carpets are the biggest sources of bacteria and mold spores. Every time you roll your chair back and forth on the mat, every footstep you take, you may be releasing mold spores and unhealthy bacteria into the air. Doing so may cause asthma, allergies and a host of other ailments.

Quick tip: While your office boys may clean it regularly, for best results make sure your carpeting is professionally cleaned every one to six months, depending on the population. Avoid dropping food on the carpets.

Eating at desks is a harmful habit

A lot of you may take a quick lunch break inside your cubicle only but that could make you fall sick. If you are not keeping the eating area clean, you may be attracting pests, like rodents and insects like cockroaches which can lead to allergic reactions and trigger asthma symptoms. Also when it comes to leaving food in the garbage and not storing food properly in the refrigerator may cause biological contamination.

Quick tip: Avoid eating at your desk. Cleaning the refrigerator out frequently will help prevent odours and mold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X